Dr. Alea is a Naturopathic Physician and mother dedicated to optimal health and a balanced life. She believes that when our bodies are nourished from the inside out, we become empowered to live our best lives and are able to navigate through times of stress, upheaval and challenge.
Through in-depth consultation and carefully researched, practical and personalized treatment plans, Dr. Alea tackles the root cause of health concerns. She strives to complement treatment with practical tools that patients can use to integrate optimal health into their lives and experience the ultimate freedom this affords.
In her work to surface health and wellness solutions, Dr. Alea draws from a rich tapestry of experience, four years of medical school at Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine, a bachelors degree in Kinesiology from the University of Victoria, extensive clinical experience, fifteen years as a personal trainer, her own healing through naturopathic medicine and more recently – and most profoundly – as a mother.
During your initial 1-hour consultation, Dr. Alea will carefully evaluate your current health status, review your medical history, and perform a relevant physical exam. If you have had recent blood work completed, she encourages you to bring any reports to your appointment. A personalized plan will be devised to address the foundations for health, your unique concerns, and further testing will be ordered (if necessary). A follow up appointment will be recommended to review your progress and to maintain accountability in your path to healing.
Dr. Alea has a strong interest in women’s health including pregnancy/fertility, peri-menopause/menopause, bio-identical hormones, as well as pediatrics, gastrointestinal health, skin conditions, and IV therapy. More specifically, Dr. Alea has clinical experience and knowledge in the following conditions:
- Women’s health: menstrual irregularities, adrenal insufficiency/fatigue, fertility, PCOS, PMS, dysmenorrhea, sexually transmitted infections, breast health, fibrocystic breasts, endometriosis, fibroids, yeast infections, anxiety, stress, weight management, insomnia and sleep disorder.
- Fertility & Pregnancy: pre-conception preparation, repeat miscarriages, infertility, pregnancy support including nutritional counseling, nausea, fatigue, constipation, muscle cramps, heart burn, stress/anxiety, and labour preparation.
- Post-Partum Care: nutritional counseling, breast feeding support, fatigue, stress/anxiety, insomnia, cognitive concerns, menstrual cycle regulation, and self care.
- Peri-Menopause & Menopause: Hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, mood imbalances, fatigue, bone health, poor memory, and low libido.
- Thyroid Imbalances: hypothyroid, hyperthyroid, hashimoto’s thyroiditis, subclinical hypothyroid.
- Hormone Testing & Evaluation: Dr. Alea offers serum, blood, and/or urine testing to assess hormonal imbalances. These include comprehensive thyroid panel, comprehensive female hormone panel (estrogens, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, cortisol), adrenal stress index testing, iron testing, and more.
- Bio-identical Hormones: Dr. Alea is licensed to prescribe bio-identical hormones when necessary, to help rebalance hormones.
- Pediatrics: digestive concerns, constipation, colic, allergies, sleep concerns, skin conditions (eczema, rashes), behavioral concerns, asthma, food introduction education/schedule, colds/flu, infections. Dr. Alea also offers well-baby visits.
- Gastrointestinal Health: indigestion, abdominal pain, chronic bloating, diarrhea, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, crohn’s disease, celiac disease, acid reflux, food sensitivities, candida overgrowth.
- Skin: eczema, psoriasis, acute or chronic hives, acne.
- IV Therapies: to help with digestive compromise (IBS, indigestion, crohn’s, colitis), adrenal insufficiency, fatigue, chronic stress, and recurrent colds/flus.
- Laboratory Testing: female & male hormone panels, thyroid testing, adrenal function testing, environmental allergy testing, IgE & IgG food sensitivity testing, heavy metal toxicity testing, blood type testing.
Dr. Alea’s has additional training and certifications in the following:
- Pharmaceutical Prescribing License
- Bio-identical Hormones
- Board Certified Acupuncture
- IV Nutrient Therapy
- Heavy Metal Chelation Therapy
- Total Body Modification (TBM)
An Island girl at heart, she commutes to her Vancouver office from her home on Bowen Island. Dr. Alea fuels her own fire by spending time in nature, hiking and trail running and chasing after her busy 1 ½ year old daughter. A true believer in the power of food as medicine she spends time experimenting with whole food recipes, developing her green thumb in her garden, and coming up with creative ways to get her daughter to eat veggies, which she may or may not throw on the floor.
Dr. Alea understands that making drastic health changes can be overwhelming. Successful health outcomes require trust and synergy with your health care practitioner. Therefore, she offers complimentary 15-minute “Meet & Greet” sessions, to see if you feel she would be a good fit. She looks forward to hearing your story and helping to shape the next chapter on your health journey.
A licensed Naturopathic Doctor in BC, Dr. Alea is in good standing with College of Naturopathic Physicians of British Columbia (CNPBC). She also a member of the British
Columbia Naturopathic Association (BCNA), Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND), and the Pediatric Association of Naturopathic Physicians (PedsANP).
Dr. Alea Bell, ND Reviewed by: Rainbow W.
“…compassion, understanding, expertise and experience“
Every issue or challenge I have brought to Dr. Bell has been handled with compassion, understanding, expertise and experience. I especially like that we talk about my concern thoroughly and find an approach that I am comfortable with. It’s great to be prescribed treatments that work at fixing the problem, without giving you a list of side effects to worry about.
Specifically I enjoy how easy it is to talk to Dr. Bell about anything, she is genuinely interested, her readiness to help, the effectiveness of the treatments, and her dedication to finding a solution to my issues have all been a wonderful aspect of visiting her.
My experiences with Dr. Bell have always been really positive, she’s got a great attitude and her care has improved my health in many ways physically and emotionally. Dr. Bell has always brought great ideas and an excellent level care to my appointments, she has carefully addressed all of my issues and together we have improved my health to reduce or eliminate a variety of symptoms.
I had been to two other Naturopaths before visiting Dr. Bell and I feel that I have found a good fit with her; there isn’t anything that I wouldn’t feel comfortable talking to Dr. Bell about, and I like that even if there is something that requires traditional medicine treatment, such as surgery, etc., there are complementing natural treatments one can do.
Also, I remember feeling helpless when telling my G.P. about an ongoing symptom and being told that was normal and basically there was nothing to do about it, but Dr. Bell’s approach is that there is always something we can try, and it’s worked!
I have and will recommend Dr. Bell to any friends and family seeking a natural and non-invasive treatment method, and to anyone seeking an alternative to traditional medicine and it’s side effects.
Dr. Alea Bell, ND Reviewed by: Doug O.
“…increased level of energy”
I play hockey 3 times a week and since I have been doing the monthly IV therapy I have noticed an increased level of energy both on and off the ice. In addition, I have also noticed a quicker recovery time after all my sports. The most significant benefit for me personally has been my increased immune system. I deal with clients all day long in sales as well as traveling a lot by plane and I was always prone to colds at least once a quarter it seemed. Since the IV therapy I have not had one cold or flu like symptoms and I can’t say enough about the benefits of this therapy.
Dr. Alea Bell, ND Reviewed by: Lois N.
“Myers’ therapy gives me an energy boost “
Managing work, home and travel takes a lot of energy. I find the Myers’ therapy gives me an energy boost to keep up with all of my activities, particularly in the winter and prior to travel. I’ve been seeing Dr. Bell for over 2 years for naturopathic advice on eating and health and would highly recommend her for her very personable and practical approach.
Dr. Alea Bell, ND Reviewed by: Alex P.
“Dr. Bell has been a lifesaver…”
Dr. Bell has been a lifesaver for my health and business. I was working long hours with high stress, and Dr. Bell was able to strengthen my body to the point were I did not experience any fatigue until well into the evening. I feel stronger, more focused, and am able to put in a full day thanks to Dr. Bell and her wisdom. I felt that I had a weak overall constitution before I met Dr. Bell, and now I feel energized, healthy and happy. My only regret is that I did not seek out the benefits of Naturopathic medicine sooner. I highly recommend Dr. Bell to anyone interested in feeling their best every day.
Dr. Alea Bell, ND Reviewed by: Adrienne M.
“I credit Dr. Bell with helping me lead a happier migraine free life“
Living with migraines seemed normal. Excruciating pain, missing work/social events, dark/quiet rooms was just a part of life or so I thought. When I started experiencing migraines 2-3x a week I was desperate to try anything to make them stop. I found Dr. Alea Bell online and though a huge skeptic of naturopathic medicine, I thought I should cross it off the list of possible cures. It was almost a last ditch attempt before I chopped my head off. What I found surprised me and changed my life for the better. Dr. Bell was the first person who really listened to how I was feeling and she let me in on what my body was trying to tell me. I was put on a very challenging diet program that I thought was insane and pointless but I didn’t once cheat and gave it my all. It wasn’t easy, but I saw results immediately. Within two weeks the migraines stopped completely. I was hesitant and unsure, always waiting for the next headache that still hasn’t come. My entire diet had to change but I didn’t have to chop my head off. This skeptic is a believer and I credit Dr. Bell with helping me lead a happier migraine free life.
Dr. Alea Bell, ND
…Clients value Dr. Bell’s experience and compassion, out of 5 based on 5 reviews