- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks, cleaned, sliced, white part only
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut in half
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2.5 cups mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup asparagus, woody ends removed, cut on diagonal into ¾ inch pieces
- a handful each of fresh basil and parsley, chopped
- 2 lemons
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add leek, garlic and salt, sauté until soft (approximately 3-4 minutes). Add carrots and green beans and cook for another 3 minutes. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add tomatoes, and mushrooms. Cook for 15 minutes, simmering on low heat. Add asparagus and half of the basil and parsley and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and distribute into each serving bowl. Squeeze a generous amount of fresh lemon juice over each bowl and garnish with the remaining basil and parsley.
Recipe adapted from “Summer Garden Vegetable Soup.” The Melrose Family. N.p., 15 June 2015. Web. 26 Oct. 2015. <http://thenymelrosefamily.com/2015/06/summer-garden-vegetable-soup.html#_a5y_p=3913883>.