- 2 – 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. mild curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. tumeric
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium yams, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 small yellow or red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cups filtered water
Heat a cast iron Dutch oven or 6-quart pot over medium heat. Add the oil, then add the cumin seeds and cook for about 30 to 60 sec or until fragrant. Add the onions and sauté for about 10 min until softened and beginning to change color. Add the spices and sauté for another 60 sec. next add the root vegetables and sauté for a few min to coat with the spices and oil, then add the tomatoes and water. Partially cover pot with a lid, and simmer on medium heat, stirring occasionally for 25 to 30 min or until vegetables are tender. Cooking time will vary depending on what size you cut your vegetables.
Add a portion of smoked salmon for protein and a green salad.