- 2 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, 1/2″ cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 asparagus spears, chopped
- 2 jalapeno chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped coarsely
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp, dried oregano
- 3 cups cannellini beans, cooked
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced into rounds
Using a large soup pot, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Use this to sauté chicken cubes, stirring occasionally until browned. Remove cooked chicken from pot and place to the side for now. Add the other 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pot, this time to sauté onion and garlic for approximately 3 minutes.
Add asparagus and minced chillies, cooking for an additional 4-5 minutes. Now add the tomato, chicken, and then chilli powder, cumin, and oregano. Stir all ingredients together well before adding the broth, beans, sea salt, and leek. Decrease heat to medium-low until a simmer is reached. Cook for 20 minutes allowing it to thicken and the flavours to strengthen. Stir occasionally.
Recipes adapted from Simply Fresh by Jeff Morgan, p. 88