- 1 cup raw whole cashews
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbs. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, minced
- 3 cups riced cauliflower*
- 8 oz. broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 5 tsp. sea salt
- ¾ tsp. cracked black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
Fill a bowl with boiling water and place the cashews in the water. Soak for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease a 3-quart casserole dish with 1 tsp. of the olive oil. Heat the remaining 2 tbs. of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the garlic, shallots, and mushrooms for 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower, broccoli, salt, and pepper and continue cooking for 7 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the chicken, then remove from the heat and set aside.
Drain the soaked cashews and place them in a blender with the remaining sauce ingredients. Blend on high for 30 to 45 seconds, until very smooth. Stir the sauce into the chicken and vegetable mixture, and then turn the entire mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Bake, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 10 minutes.
* To rice cauliflower, run florets through a food processor with a grating attachment.
Recipe adapted from Danielle Walkers. “Chicken and Rice Casserole.” in Against All Grain. Gluten-free, Dairy-free, and Paleo Recipes to Make Anytime. pg. 140. Print.