- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- pinch sea salt
- pinch ground cardamom
Butter Chicken Gravy
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tbs. grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 1 gluten-free chicken bouillon cube + 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup lite coconut milk
- ¼ lemon, juiced
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbs. fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tbs. ground cashews or almond flour
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut roughly into florets
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 1 tbs. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- food processor recommended but could use with knife and cutting board.
Place cubed chicken in a glass container. Set aside. Combine marinade in a small bowl. Stir to combine and pour over top of the chicken. Mix with a spoon, seal with a lid, and marinate in the fridge for 8-24 hours. Longer marinade the better but not to exceed 48 hours. After marinade is done, preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon-baking mat. Place marinated chicken on the sheet, spreading out so that they cook evenly.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F. Remove from the oven and allow to sit. Prepare butter chicken gravy by sautéing the oil, onion and garlic in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat for 10 minutes until onion is brown. Add ginger, garam masala, cumin, chili powder and bay leaf. Cook for 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes, chicken bouillon cube, water, coconut milk, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add cooked chicken, cilantro and almond flour (to thicken), remove bay leaf and serve on cauliflower rice (see Fall Day for cauliflower rice recipe here).
- Recipe adapted from “Healthful Pursuit.” Healthful Pursuit. Web. 15 Oct. 2015. <http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/11/dairy-free-butter-chicken/>.
- Recipe adapted from “Making Cauliflower Rice: 3 Different Ways – And Here We Are.” And Here We Are. 01 Feb. 2014. Web. 15 Oct. 2015. <http://andhereweare.net/2014/02/making-cauliflower-rice-3-ways.html/>.