View Fermenting Foods First
- 4 or 5 heads of red or green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- Shred cabbage and pound cabbage vigorously in a ceramic fermenting pot or a ceramic bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt as you go.
- a) If using a bowl, handful by handful, place and pound it into glass jars.
b) If using a ceramic fermenting pot, pound and leave to in the pot.
- Leave about about 1 inch at the top (for expansion) and make sure the cabbage is entirely covered by its juices. If not, make a brine of 2 tbsp sea salt to 4 cups water and add to jar.
- Cover with lid to keep it down and keep the jar in a warm spot and allow to ferment for 7-10 days.
- Check on it from time to time to make sure the vegetables remain covered by the brine and to remove any mold.
- If not already in glass jars, transfer into them for long term storage and place in fridge.